Saturday, September 30, 2006

Slimy, Low-Down, No-Good, Cheatin' Democrat

I am so majorly ticked at the guy running for State Assembly in our district.

He's cute. He's young. He's charming. He has run for the office persistently. He keeps losing, but he keeps trying. One day, he will make it; I have no doubt.

He is a slimeball. Two years ago, he stopped by our house and asked permission to put one of his yardsigns in our yard. "No. We live in a parsonage, and you can't put one on church property. That's not allowed when you have non-profit status." He tried to convince us to put a sign in front of the house and not over by church. We did discuss a few issues, like abortion and homeschooling, but I didn't argue politics with him. I didn't say whether I agreed with his political stance or not. I just told him he couldn't put a yard sign on church property. He was pleasant enough and thanked me for the conversation and asked for my vote. Then he left.

This week (the week of our turkey dinner when hundreds of people will be coming to our church property) suddenly a yard sign appears. It was on the property line, between us and our neighbors. I fumed. I knew he put it on the property line so that it would look like it was on church property.

After a few days, and hours before the fundraising dinner was supposed to begin, I decided to visit the neighbors. I went to pick up the yard sign on my way to their front door. Turns out that the sign wasn't on their property; it was about 6 inches on our side of the line. I asked the neighbors if they'd chosen the location for the sign, or if they'd just given the permission and then Ryan chose where the sign would go. They were surprised. They hadn't given permission for any sign to go in their yard. And besides, as they'd pointed out, the sign wasn't in their yard, it was in mine. I had intended to ask the neighbors to put the sign in front of their house instead of way over by our property, but they said they sure didn't want his yardsign in their yard!

So the man couldn't get permission to put the sign here, but did anyway. And he couldn't get permission to put the sign in the neighbor's yard. So he slimily stuck it between the houses, knowing that we'd each assume it was the other's sign. And he put it in our yard, even after having been told the reason why a church couldn't put out a yardsign EVEN IF we agreed with the candidate. But he chose to do it anyway.

If a guy can't campaign honestly, why would anybody in their right minds expect him to govern honestly??

This dude often has yardsigns in people's yards, alongside yardsigns of people of the opposite party. I always assumed his charming demeanor and his boldness in asking was what got people to agree to allow him to put up yardsigns. But now I'm wondering if he just goes and sticks 'em anywhere he feels like.

Now I have to figure out how I can rat him out. Maybe letters to the editors of the county weekly and the daily news? Maybe contacting his opponent and telling him what's up? I don't like the Republican incumbent too much, but at least he's got some ethics and morals!

3 comments:

  1. You go, girl!!!

    You're right. That is slimy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband says that writing a letter to the editor about this would probably catch a lot of people's attention and would be a good way of addressing the situation.

    I can't believe he wouldn't respect the whole "non-profits can't endorse candidates" issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my husband said it might be better coming from him than from me. So he was informing the church council of the situation today after Service, and they said not to do anything. Some of them feared retaliation when/if this guy ever does get elected. (I figure that's kinda like letting the playground bully have his way.) But I was told that I am not to write a letter to the newspaper nor to the elections board, and that the men will talk to the candidate's campaign committee. If he puts the sign back, then they say we should do something about it. Now, don't ask me if I agree with what they want to do....

    This makes about as much sense to me as having to get 35 people's "okay" as to whether my kid can have a pet....

    ReplyDelete