Monday, September 25, 2006

The Best Food

I am not appreciated.

Yes, yes, I'll get in line with all you other moms.

Daddy is in Colorado at a meeting with a bunch of other pastors. In attempts to get a lot accomplished today, I figured we could pretty much blow off dinner and just find some kind of calories. After all, it wouldn't offend the daddy who'd get stuck eating waffles or some other such dinner-impersonation.

My youngest requested tomato soup and grilled cheese. Sounded like a good plan to me!

As we're buttering the bread and heating the skillets, my child who is Logically Challenged made a very reasonable deduction. A wrong deduction. An offensive deduction, at least, offensive in the eyes of a woman who loves to cook.

"Mom, when you were in Colorado for the youth conference, we ate the best food while you were gone. And then you came home, and we went back to eating bad .... uh,... ummm, regular food that's not so good. And now Daddy is in Colorado, and we're back to eating the very best food again. You know what, Mom? There's something about Colorado. Whenever someone is there, we don't have to eat bad .... uh ... ummm ... well, we get the BEST food."

So who in their right mind would ever choose roast turkey or meatloaf or salads or mixed veggies when there are frozen pizzas and mac&cheese and canned soups to be had?

2 comments:

  1. Your 14yo sounds like my brother Matthew. He says things like that all the time. "Ew, Mommy, why are you making that again?" or "Oh, Mommy, that stuff tastes terrible. Don't make that today." We usually tell him to stop talking and go play with his brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Rachel, I should clarify something (in the interest of protecting my 14-yr-old's reputation for luvving food), it was the 11-yr-old who hates my cooking.

    And on behalf of all mothers everywhere, THANK YOU for standing up for your mom and her cooking! (And tell her I said "hi.")

    ReplyDelete