Sunday, September 24, 2006

No Sin Can Harm ...

[Warning: if you're prone to antinomianism, don't read this. But for the rest of us, folks who are more prone to legalism, you're allowed to continue.]


"How Sweet the Name of Jesus Sounds" was our hymn-of-the-week last week, and the hymn-of-the-week at Peace the previous week. I love the stanza that got left out of LW and LSB.

By Thee my prayers acceptance gain
although with sin defiled.
Satan accuses me in vain
and I am owned a child.

There's plenty in LSB about being cured from sin, and plenty about God choosing us as His own although we were sinners, but not too much about God loving us although we are still sinners.

I love the new tune to "Jesus, Thy Boundless Love to Me." But it is quite sad that LSB left out some stanzas that LW omitted, including --

Oh, draw me, Savior, e'er to Thee;
So shall I run and never tire.
With gracious words still comfort me;
Be Thou my Hope, my sole Desire.
Free me from every guilt and fear;
No sin can harm if Thou art near.

And the hymnody committee decided there wasn't room in LSB for Luther's Christmas hymn --

Oh, then rejoice that through His Son
God is with sinners now at one.
Made like yourselves of flesh and blood,
Your brother is the eternal God.
What harm can sin and death then do?
The true God now abides with you.
Let hell and Satan rage and chafe,
Christ is your Brother -- you are safe.


If the church is bereft of such words for several decades, I fear that our hymnody will lead us to accept a theology of glory that teaches that sin is conquerable this side of the grave.

I like what Pastor says to those who think Christians can actually avoid sin with the help of the Holy Spirit. "Go ahead. If you can stop sinning, then do. Just one day without sin; that's all."

There's a Luther quote pasted inside the cover of my hymnal. Part of it says, "Beware of aspiring to such purity that you will not wish to be looked upon as a sinner, or to be one. For Christ dwells only in sinners."

No comments:

Post a Comment