Thursday, December 04, 2008

Roof Rake

Last year we noticed that we were the house in the neighbor with the humongous piles of snow on the roof. I don't know if it's the location of the house, the arrangement of the trees plus the neighboring houses, the lay of the land, or what. But we had drifts of 4' or more on our roof. And, oh, the overhangs of snow-pack, looming over the edge of the eaves. Amazing! Other houses had the same problem, but none to the extent that we had.

I've heard about the damage that ice dams can create. I hope we're not set up to have that problem, but even if we're not, we're just askin' for huge wads of snow-pack to come crashing down off the eaves.

So I bought a roof rake.

Used it today. Boy, the muscles in my legs are in better shape than are the ones in my upper body.

The thing I don't understand is why a roof rake will help if the gutters are full of snow. There is no place for the melting snow to go if the gutters are snow-packed and full of ice.

On the other hand, there was a LOT of snow on our roof last year. It didn't seem to have any inclination to melt and refreeze.

So,
we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment