Friday, October 10, 2008

Robe of Righteousness

Nothing in my hand I bring,
simply to Thy cross I cling;
naked, come to Thee for dress;
helpless, look to Thee for grace;
foul, I to the fountain fly --
wash me, Savior, or I die.


The words in the song: "Thy cross" and "look to Thee." We look at the cross as we sing those lines. We see that He is naked. They stripped Him of His clothes, casting lots for them, and dividing His garments among them.

Helpless, poor, foul, and naked, we come to the crucified one who hangs there with nothing, having given all. And He continues to give His holiness, His robe of righteousness, His priestly garments, even though to all outward appearances He doesn't have any clothing to give! But because He gave up His, it becomes ours. And we are arrayed more richly than the flowers of the field which are arrayed more beautifully than even Solomon was in all his earthly splendor.

I stood, my shame bemoaning,
Thou com'st to honor me.
A glory dost Thou give me,
a treasure safe on high
that will not fail nor leave me
as earthly riches fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment