Wednesday, May 28, 2008

New Grocery Stores

I have been trying to finagle a time to get to Woodmans, and it's just not working out. It's so far away, and the gas is so expensive. So yesterday I gathered all my gumption and decided to do the shopping locally. I went to Aldi and got the "real" food (as opposed to majorly processed stuff which is most of what Aldi sells), and then I went to Walmart (sigh!) for the whole wheat flour and the real (not powdered) parmesan and a few other items. I also did some scouting to find out how prices compare and whether the stores even carried a few necessary-to-me items. I know Walmart is more expensive than Woodmans. But is it so much more expensive that it would counteract $12-13 worth of gas to Oak Creek?

I feel disloyal to Mr Woodman. I wonder how long it's going to take before they get that store built in the Falls?

3 comments:

  1. I'm still waiting for the Woodman's that I heard was going to be built in my neighborhood but that hasn't materialized yet . . . maybe that's what I get for relying on information from Wikipedia?

    And I'm currently boycotting my local Walmart because they made me mad (customer service issue) . . . but as I watch my grocery bill inching up I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hold to principle. It's really a drag to be such a slave to the pocketbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, I remember reading somewhere --or being told by somebody in customer service at the Janesville store (the headquarters)-- that they put up a new store every 2.5 years. Since they just opened one this spring south of Milwaukee, it's going to be a while for you. The Chicago one and another east of Madison are the next ones up. They want to buy land around here and start one, but they can't find a suitable piece of real estate yet. So my new Woodmans is 8 years away at best.

    I know that when y'all look at the size of Woodmans, you think of a big box store. But this was a family operation, just local grocery stores. They began expanding. When Mr Woodman died a few years ago, the company was made employee-owned. They're still going slowly with their expansion, though, and not trying to bust out all over the place and gobble up market-share from other grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the only thing that keeps my dd24 from returning to Chicago is the Green Bay Woodman's. Three cheers for Woodmans!

    ReplyDelete