Thursday, May 29, 2008

Dizzy

When I was little, I would spin around and around and around in the living room until I got so dizzy I fell over. I loved to get so dizzy that the world would keep on spinning even after I stopped twirling.

My husband hates getting dizzy. He doesn't like to ride the tea-cups or the Tilt-a-Whirl at the fair or at Six Flags. I want to ride the tea-cups with my sons, who have muscles and can make that ride spin fast enough that passers-by stop and point and say, "Wow, look how fast they're going!"

The other day we were at a graduation party. The house has a tiny kettle in the yard. (Maggie calls it a big pit.) A couple of my sons decided to roll down the hill. Oh, gosh! That looked like fun! So I did too. It was steep enough to get rolling really fast, and for a long way down. I finally came to a stop and lay at the bottom of the kettle, looking up at the trees spinning like crazy.

I discovered, though, that I don't have as much padding as I might. I've lost a lot of weight in the last year. And now there are two big bruises on my hips, from thump-thump-thumping down the hill. Still, the 60 seconds of dizziness was great. (And NO, I am not hoping for vertigo! A controlled and sought-after temporary dizziness from a carnival ride is altogether different from being stuck with persistent dizziness.)

Is this what comes from grown-ups tossing around a baby when she's little??? Not only am I not sickened by the spinning, but I love it. Come to think of it, most of my kids enjoy the dizziness, and they were swung around as babies too. Hmmmm, maybe I need to get a large government grant to study this....

4 comments:

  1. Matt doesn't like to be dizzy, either. When he went to Six Flags with us and we were all going mad on the teacups he, apparently, was starting to feel not so hot.

    But then the boys challenged him to see who could go faster, and he rode them again anyway.

    I told him that in the future, he is more than welcome to sit out like Daddy does- I'd rather have him feel okay than humor my need to get crazy-dizzy.

    There is, however, a huge difference between a spinny-dizziness and the kind of dizzy brought on by dehydration, stuffy sinuses and eardrums, and hunger. The latter is absolutely miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm sorry about Matt being egged on to dizziness that he didn't like. From now on, we'll MAKE him wait with Daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, question, Rachel. Did Matt's parents toss babies into the air and swing them around? I would've thought they would. Just checking my theory on dizziness-loving...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I like being *dizzy* per se, but I really, really enjoy the rides that make you dizzy, or rolling down hills, or things like that. And the dizziness at least doesn't bother me. As a kid I used to love it - spinning around until the world kept spinning and you couldn't even stand up.

    I don't think my parents tossed me around or spun me, though. At least, I don't recall them ever saying anything to that effect, and I don't remember my sister being spun around, or anything like that.

    I just love anything that gives me a thrill and gets my heart pumping. And those "dizzy rides" do it.

    What I do NOT like is the feeling of dizziness when going to bed at night sometimes. When it feels like the whole bed is spinning. That's not so good...

    ReplyDelete