Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Kombucha Nutrition

Janelle brought to my attention that the nutrition-factoid page I'd linked to previously has been abandoned. The information is no longer there. Bummers. So here is a website that tells what acids are in kombucha and all the different B vitamins in it (along with their specific health benefits). If I remember correctly (and I can't make any guarantees about that), the website that I'd linked to previously claimed that 8 ounces of kombucha provided about 20% of the daily requirements for B vitamins. Another website hawking kombucha claims that a half-pint has traces of protein, fat, and sodium, and about 25 calories,
1/5 from non-sugar carbohydrates
2/5 from fructose
2/5 from glucose
Of course, with home-made kombucha, there's really no sure way to tell what the nutrient content is. But we do know it's heavy in probiotics, enzymes, B's, and all that stuff about acids that I'm not scientific enough to understand.

(This will teach me to rely on using the world-wide web as a file cabinet. You never know when somebody else may come along and purge some files you wanted!)

And for a side comment: while hunting up "replacement information" on kombucha nutrition, I found an article on nutrition and detoxing and eating REAL foods. I didn't read it thoroughly, and I can see there's theology in there that I disagree with. But the lady has some good points with regard to health and nutrition. I really should try making beet kvass. It sounds disgusting, but I used to think carrot juice sounded disgusting, and it actually turned out to be quite sweet. (The sugars in carrots was why Atkins had them on the no-no list.)

Oh, Katie, I just want to point out: the reason you're not supposed to detox while pregnant is because you don't want to loose those deep-buried toxins for your body to deal with. Your body is doing enough work to build a healthy baby. If you're already used to some kombucha now and then, that should be fine. But if anyone you happen to be living with decides to Get Healthy (ahem) you shouldn't be going whole-hog with him.

1 comment:

  1. I love kombucha! I brew it and sell it in my city, I also linked your site to mine so my clients can learn more.

    Thanks

    Check out terrybarga.com

    ReplyDelete