Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Out of Mind

Out of sight, out of mind.

The new house is smaller. My desk is in my bedroom instead of in the living room and just around the corner from the kitchen.

I live in the kitchen. The living room is an overflow area of the kitchen, where we live part-time. But the kitchen is where I am. The bills that need to be paid cannot be on a desk in the corner of my bedroom, all the way down the hall. I'll forget them. The to-do list cannot be on my desk, in the corner of a room at the end of the hallway. I'll ignore it. The papers that need to be filed (or worse yet, dealt with and then filed) cannot be shoved off to my desk or to the file cabinet. They need to be smack-dab in front of my nose, in my way, so that they will be acted upon.

But when they are, I don't have counter space for bread-rising, kombucha-bottling, tortilla-making, or cantaloupe-slicing.

The obvious answer would be to deal with those papers papers papers immediately. Well, silly you! How could you think such an outlandish thing?!!? But even if I could solve the paper problem that way, some of those notes cannot be dealt with immediately, and need to hang around for a week as a reminder for what's coming up.

There must be a solution to this. I just don't know what it is.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I may sound naive, but what is kombucha? Also, how do you make your own tortilla? I don't know that I have ever heard of anyone doing that! Please share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi, I wrote about making tortillas last July. I wanted a whole-grain recipe and a non-hydrogenated fat. You can find the recipe here.

    And I have a ridiculous amount of information under the label kombucha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the tortillas are SOOOOO good. I got to enjoy a couple of them today for lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pay as many as you can online; you're on enough to remember, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pay bills online? Oy! That's probably one of those things I should learn. Especially as postage keeps going up and up. But right now I don't want to learn yet another thing. Maybe in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pay almost everything online but I have a 3 x 5 card with the dates everything is due in the place I spend the most time. Everytime I look at that card it reminds me to get to the computer and pay the bills, or get the bill out to pay if the place doesn't have free online payments.

    ReplyDelete