Thursday, April 17, 2008

Jeanne

Recently I've been blessed (and, boy, do I mean that word with all seriousness!) to be getting to know the widow of a faithful pastor. We've chatted on the phone several times, and she is such an encouragement! I can talk about a Bible verse, or a struggle, or the liturgy, or some other way to "talk theology." But the words of God's grace come so readily from her lips! She speaks of the hope within her. She tells about Jesus. She reminds me of the forgiveness of sins and the power therein. She hurts from physical pain and from missing her sweetheart, but there is no chafing in her voice, just reliance upon a loving heavenly Father. And what she says is not contrived, it's not religiosity, it's not forced. I'm sure she would disagree, but Jeanne is one example of what I see as the epitome of Christian womanhood. Someday, when I grow up, God grant that I can be even half as beautiful a pastor's wife as Jeanne and Erma are.

1 comment:

  1. I thank God for these special friends of yours. I hope I can meet them someday! Mom

    ReplyDelete