Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My Laundry Dream

This morning I put eight loads into the laundromat's machines on the way to Matins, picked them up on the way back home, and had them on the line (except for the socks and undies that went into the dryer) by 9:00. It gets done SO FAST that way.

It would be great to have a wringer washer or some other way to do many loads of laundry at home all at once. An old-fashioned wringer washer certainly takes more work than my Kenmore downstairs that works at the push of a button. But it uses less water and less soap, and a whole gob of laundry can be done all in one morning.

BUT... I'm spoiled with the regular new-fangled washers. And my mom reminded me once-upon-a-time (when I was longing for a wringer washer) that it's really hard to wash up one load right-quick simply because you need something cleaned NOW (like when the kids have uniforms that they need to wear to work). So the dream would be to have the regular wash machine and the regular dryer, as well as the wringer washer with loads of clotheslines. That'd be the best of both worlds!

2 comments:

  1. I once saw a wringer washer (electric) at a second hand shop and oh, I *wanted* that thing... but I had our teensy car, and no way to get it home.

    What I want is a washer with the "suds-saver" feature - I don't think they make them anymore. My mom's washer could pump the saved rinse-water (you had to put a plug in the laundry tub) from the previous load BACK into the washer to use as washwater for the next load. As long as you washed least-dirty to most-dirty, it was great.

    We pay so dearly for city water here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend at sem had one of those. She was from northern Wisconsin, so I'm wondering if it's just one of those "Wisconsin things" that the rest of the country should Get A Clue about. But I haven't seen nor heard of them in 20 years now.

    ReplyDelete