Sunday, March 09, 2008

Lent in 3-Year

My father-confessor's congregation began using the 3-year lectionary this past Advent. The congregation I'm a member of is on the historic 1-year series. It seemed to me in December that Advent had more of a "pre-Christmas" feel in the 3-year series, and more a call to repentance in the 1-year series. But my Stuckwischy friend disagreed with me, so I questioned my perspective.

During Lent I have again noticed a difference between the 3-year and 1-year series. The 3-year lectionary for Lent this year seems to have a lot about light. I've been feeling like I'm still in Epiphany. I love the readings. I love the sermons. I love the hymns. But it hadn't seemed very Lentish. Then today, the OT reading was Ezekiel 37. It was hard for me to pay attention because I kept thinking, "That's for Thomas Sunday" (also known as the first Sunday after Easter) and "Why are we reading Easter stories already?"

So here's the perspective of someone who's in the midst of Series A and the 1-year series at the same time:
Series A treats Lent more like a transition from Epiphany to Easter.
One-year series uses it more as a time of penitence.

3 comments:

  1. It is a transition from Epiphany to Easter ;-)

    Yet, for all of that, the Signs in St. John's Gospel point to the Hour of Glory in the Cross. For St. John, as for the early church, and I'd like to think for all of us, too, one doesn't separate Easter from Good Friday, but receives the one with the other.

    Here is one of the ironies of me. I'm inclined to view Advent more penitentially than most, and then somwhat inclined to view Lent less penitentially and more catechetically. That's how Lent developed, first of all: as a time of catechesis in preparation for Holy Baptism (which is, itself, a participation in both the Cross and the Resurrection of our Lord Jesus). Lutherans also used to emphasize Lent as a period of more intensive catechesis. As time has gone by, the focus on the Passion has been given greater and greater thrust, while the specifically catechetical character of Lent has gone by the wayside.

    Lent isn't supposed to be a forty-day Holy Week. It's catechesis. And it's penitential precisely in being catechetical. Because proper catechesis, like all good preaching, is always the Law and the Gospel at work. And it is the Law and the Gospel that put us to death and raise us to life: that's repentance.

    Personally, I have loved preaching through St. John's Gospel. Fridays have afforded the chance to do so even more thoroughly, and it's great. It's easy to see why St. John was Dr. Luther's favorite Gospel. The fourth evangelist is such a master theologian, and you get that more clearly when you're hearing more of the scope of his Holy Gospel.

    But I can appreciate your feelings, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a little confused about the 3 year series in Lent, it hasn't really seemed at all like Lent. Although it might just be because I miss singing Lenten hymns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...Wow.

    I'm the one DOING the readings and I don't know if I pay as much attention to them as you seem too.

    Your piety is impressive.

    ReplyDelete