Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Obama's Ad

In anticipation of yesterday's primary, we were treated repeatedly to one of Barak Obama's ads on tv. One of the class-warfare statements he threw out there in the ad was that CEO's make more in 10 minutes than your average Joe makes in a whole year.

Being mathematically inclined, my instant reaction was "Good grief! That is so outlandish. If anybody did the math, this would be shown to be a completely goofy claim."

Well, yesterday and today, two of my favorite talk-radio guys (Mark and Charlie) did the math. (If you're interested, it pans out to a CEO earning somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 billion dollars per year.) Callers wondered why Obama didn't complain about movie stars or sports heroes who earn more in 10 minutes than the average worker earns in a year.

But the funny one was the comment:
"Hi, I'm Barak Obama. And I spent more on this 30-second commercial to convince you to vote for me than you earn in a year."

2 comments:

  1. Living far away from big cities means we kind of miss out on the silliness of the primary season.

    I actually kind of miss it; it's rather fun to laugh at how ridiculous it all gets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The elections frighten me. Nothing about them is conforting. Can I just check "none of the above"?

    It appears Obama, or his people, are not nearly as smart as they want you to think they are1

    ReplyDelete