Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Pretty Peppers

Gumbo for dinner today.

I don't know what's up with pepper prices, but the red peppers were a dime cheaper than the green this week, and the yellow peppers were only a dime higher than the green. (For a few of you twenty-somethings who pay no heed to pepper prices, the ripe ones are usually 50-100% more than green.)

I thought the skillet full of veggies was SO pretty. Every time I walked over to the stove to stir them, I was floored by the colors of the onion, celery, green peppers, and red pepper. Little things like this remind me of Edith Schaeffer's Hidden Art.

4 comments:

  1. I thought the same thing about the red and yellow peppers while at the store yesterday. Why are the 99 cents? They are never that here. But alas, I still had some that need to be used before I can buy fresh. I, too, love the colors of the peppers in the skillet. Schweigert smoked sausage was on sale, so today along with our quesadillas, I'm making red beans and rice - pretty peppers and yummy all the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color over veggies whaen they cook. They seem to get more vibrant when they are close to being ready. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing makes me happier than red peppers at a good price! I lived on them when I was pregnant with Ben! Yum-O!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made a variation of this Gumbo recipe today. Jeff and I both REALLY liked it.

    ReplyDelete