Monday, January 21, 2008

The Non-Black Stranger

We wear hand-me-downs. Or gifts. We don't buy clothes.

Gary lives in black clericals and black Flex-slacks. That's not exactly going to work in a cubicle at a secular business. So today he went to Goodwill and did a little clothes shopping. He made a good haul! Four nice 100%-cotton button-down long-sleeved shirts and two pairs of khakis for a total of $15. Hooray!

But when he tried on them to show us his new clothes, he looked funny. Where's the Man In Black? Like Paul mentioned, Dad's skin color looks darker when it's not up against the solid wall of black. It's just plain weird to see Gary in red & beige plaid, or blue & beige stripes. :-)

7 comments:

  1. I've always kind of envied the fact that Pastors don't have to decide what to wear each day. :)

    I remember when my Dad shaved off his beard that he'd had for some 15 years. He walked into the dining room and both me and my mom burst into tears!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Gary shaves off his mustache, I have the same reaction! I think he's shaved it off three times since we've been married, and then grown it right back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has gotten great deals at Good Will and the Salvation Army store. Last summer he got two designer label suits for $28. I didn't even have to do alterations! Congratulations on the frugal shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is going to be a change for you in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I met my dh, (he was 18) he shopped at Salvation army. I was mortified! My children know no other way! I have learned. We went to the mall last spring to get ready for a family wedding and the girls couldn't believe people would spend that much money on clothes. What if you stain a shirt? What if your toddler brother accidentally gets a hold of scissors?

    I am glad that Gary was able to find what he needed! May you continue to find many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauri, the worries about ruining new things are big here too. What if you spent $1500 on a couch and then spilled grape juice on it. Wow, that would hurt so much more than spilling juice on a $50 couch from Goodwill. I wonder sometimes if I'm not teaching my children to be CAREFUL with things enough. Loose legs of chairs, stains on shirts, and things like that aren't as pressing when they cost a mere fraction of what "new" would've cost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear God has provided for your clothing needs and vocational needs :)

    ReplyDelete