Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Balsamic Vinegar

After depleting nearly all of Katie's fresh produce in only two days last week, I figured I'd better pick up some groceries for us visitors to consume over the next couple of days. And then it would be polite and proper to leave them something to make up for all the inhaling of groceries we'd done. Among other items, I bought some baby lettuces and some grape tomatoes. We ate them for lunch on Friday, just before we scooted out of town. But Katie and Nathan do not have salad dressing in their apartment. That's fine with most of my kids, but I would've preferred some dressing. Katie had been telling about this balsamic vinegar that she had (not something she learned about in my kitchen) which she had included in Thursday evening's ham-bake. So I thought I'd try sprinkling balsamic vinegar onto the salad.

Oh. My. Goodness!
Delicious!

Although my home-made salad dressing is full of enzymes and other healthy stuff (raw first-cold-pressed olive oil and raw apple-cider vinegar), I think that balsamic vinegar may have converted me to using that for salad dressing instead!

7 comments:

  1. And while the upfront cost is kind of high for balsamic vinegar, you only need a tiny bit to get a big flavor punch - so in the end I think it's a thrify sort of thing to have on hand.

    Ditto for feta cheese - it's expensive to purchase, but a teensy bit on a salad turns the salad luxurious, and feta keeps nice and long in the fridge, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We go through lots of balsamic vinegar. It's especially good drizzled over fresh tomatoes and basil and fresh mozzarella or yummy sweet fresh strwberries in the summer. :) It also is really good reduce with some honey drizzled on chicken and roasted vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And vinegar is good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love balsamic vinegar. YUMMO! Mix it with a bit of fresh lemon juice and it is to die for. I like tart dressing.

    So, what is raw cider vinegar. I
    should know this. I am a food network junkie and feel I know about most ingredients. This is a new one for me. Do share!

    By the way, I have been lurking on your site for a bit. I love reading your posts. I think we have possibly met at the conferences that Peter Bender has. Thanks for letting me read about your life and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tbsp dark mustard
    Tbsp or twos of Balsamic vinegar
    wisk in extra virgin olive oil.

    yum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristi, thanks for reading and commenting. :-) I figured you were probably the wife of the Pr Heinz who's involved with Higher Things and your blog confirmed that. (Not anything you said. But I saw the picture.)

    Raw apple cider vinegar is a vinegar that still has the "mother" and is full of enzymes. Around here it costs about $5/quart. You can find it in a health food store. My mega-store which is wonderful carries it with the regular vinegar. It is good for making salad dressings and using as a perk-up for some other dishes. A teaspoon or two a day, mixed in water, makes a health drink. I also use it to soak my bread flour to make it more digestible. If you want to know more, you might want to check out Sally O'Fallon's Nourishing Traditions cookbook.

    Jane and LW, thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must check this out. Why have I not heard of it before? I am not well versed in health food items. I should be. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete