Sunday, January 20, 2008

Katie's Job

While one daughter struggles in her work situation, the other is quite happy with her job. After spending time with her last week, it just makes me so proud of her that I have to brag for a minute.

Katie is working in a nursing home, helping with the activities. She helps with the all-important Bingo games. She wheels people to daily Mass or assists the non-Catholics in getting to chapel. She organizes activities like baking cookies. She takes people for walks in nice weather. For those who don't get many visitors, part of her job is to just go to their room and sit and visit with them.

She tells me that many young people think she has a very depressing job. But she doesn't see it that way. She gets along so well with those "old-fashioned people." She takes cares of them. She brightens up their lives and stimulates their minds, not unlike a mommy of young children does for her charges. She is good to these people who have spent most of their lives giving to others, and now are unable to give and are beginning to be the ones who are dependent and needy.

And Katie enjoys giving of herself to them. How much prouder could a momma be of such a great girl?

2 comments:

  1. I'm actually going to the doctor today about my stupid, horrible winter cough, because I had to call in to work due to my inability to stop coughing.

    And while I won't get in trouble, per se, (because this is a clinic setting, and they have to at least make a show of not wanting employed sickies in the building, regardless of my actual sickness state- the cough makes me appear very ill) I still need the verification that I attempted to do something about it.

    My boss asked if I have pneumonia... and I almost laughed, but that started off another coughing fit. I don't think she's convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were talking on the vcfs list a week or so ago about schools and truancy and sickness. I am STUNNED by how many people (for jobs and/or school) have to PROVE their sickness by way of doctor-pronouncement. It just jacks up the cost of health insurance, takes up doctors' time, and puts more germies into the air at clinics.

    Boy, I hope you feel better.
    Eat garlic.
    Tape garlic to your chest.
    Put garlic on your feet.
    And eat chicken soup.
    I wish I could take care of you!
    Hey, watch those Idol videos -- there are people here who want them back. :-)

    ReplyDelete