Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Another Job Possibility?

We were out running errands and taking care of several things today. We had to kill a little time between two appointments and stopped at the library. Turns out they're hiring a part-time (9 hours per week plus every fifth weekend) associate in the children's department. I mean, now, really, how much more FUN a job could you find than that?

Deadline for applications was today when the library closed. In other words, I had a whoppin' 75 minutes to decide if I wanted to apply, fill out the application, and write a cover letter.

I did. I can't believe I did this. The only down-side I can see is that I'd have to give up Thursday Bible class. Of course, it's not likely that they'd even give a housewife an interview -- especially a mommy who had only half an hour to think about whipping out a cover letter. But it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of this!

6 comments:

  1. My oldest dd worked in the Children's Room at our library for 5 years. She loved it! The librarian who hires is impatiently waiting for the next dd to be old enough. I hope that you get the job. You know so much about children's books that you'd be a great asset!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, In all my experience with children's librarians, they were all cranky and mean. How exactly would you fit in? I think that you would actually like story hour (and kids for that matter)! Pick up the children's book Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen next time you visit...it's about libraries and librarians, and it's my new favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes they would consider it! Our local library, where Rachel works, LOVES hiring moms. Face it-you've got what they need! I am SURE your "whipped up" application/cover letter is just perfect!

    (Ok so I'd hire you in a second!)

    Perfect job I'd say. Praying God's will be done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,

    I hope that it goes well for you, and that you get the job if you want it! Your story sounds familiar--when I needed a very part-time job back in 2000, our library was hiring for a tiny, little position (about 11 hrs./week)--I've been there ever since. Its morphed into being library director (still under 25 hrs/week), but I can't imagine a better job for me. When I have had to hire, I always look at mommies who love books--they make the most enthusiastic employees! It has always worked out well for us, because dad was home with the kids when I was at work--and now that they are older, I just take them with me if need be--its a perfect place to get schoolwork done. God Bless.

    Beth Speers

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Library job was always a dream of Lynea's. An opening never materialized. Seems like around here, once a job at the library, always a job at the library! -:) The people never quit! I hope you get it. You would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard back from the library today. They had a very large pool of applicants, and somebody like me with no library experience wasn't as attractive as those applicants who do have that experience. Oh well. The commute would've been problematic right now without a van anyway.

    ReplyDelete