Sunday, November 11, 2007

Suing God

I guess this post is going to reveal how out-of-the-loop I am on current events. The kids and I got behind on our current events newspaper and were reading the mid-October issue this evening. One of the stories was about a Nebraska state senator bringing a lawsuit against God, accusing Him of terrorist activity. The stupidity and ludicrousness of the lawsuit is almost funny -- except when you think about what's going to happen to this poor sinner when he dies. The thing I found most blasphemous in the reports is the plaintiff's statement that God "has manifested neither compassion nor remorse."


I merit not Thy favor, Lord,
Sin now upon me lieth.
Beneath my burden, self-abhorred,
To Thee my spirit crieth.
In all my grief this comforts me,
That Thou on sinners graciously,
Lord Jesus, hast compassion. (TLH 312)

5 comments:

  1. When I started reading this, I figured that I knew exactly who had done this. Sure enough I did! Nebraska is my home state and I have heard so many of his tirades and am continually amazed he keeps getting re-elected! What a kook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard this guy on Chicago talk radio and he was totally incoherent. I couldn't figure out if the suit was supposed to be some sort of ironic statement about frivolous lawsuits or intended to be taken seriously because at various points in the interview he seemed to articulate both goals. I'm glad to hear from someone in the know (Kristi) that he truly is as kooky as he sounded and it wasn't my problem that I couldn't understand him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pipe up too since He is from my state too. Talk about a waste of money. He has caused much turmoil here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I'm wondering if the atheists have stepped up to the plate and filed a complaint stating that a US senator can't sue someone who doesn't exist?

    And where's the ACLU? Surely they'd object to the Lord appearing in court for a hearing, since even His words aren't allowed there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He initially started it as a way to protest about all the pointless lawsuits out there.

    It was intially started, if i recall correctly, because of some court room where there was a sexual assault trial taking place and the judge refused to allow the words 'rape' or 'assult' to be spoken by either side. If I recall correctly...

    Personally, I just think it'll be awesome if God shows up.

    ReplyDelete