Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Anfechtung

I found this in an article by Dr Scaer, published in a 1980 Lutheran Synod Quarterly and reprinted in a 1983 Concordia Theological Quarterly.

Anfectungen are not to be regarded as simply problems or troubles disturbing human existence, capable of medical or psychiatric solution, but they are to be regarded as a direct and effectual Satanic working in a Christian's life meant to bring him to unbelief.

There's a lot more in the article I'd like to quote. But not now. I'm back at my folks visiting again, and really ought to get over to the hospital to see Dad. (Rachel and Katie, Grandpa had emergency surgery on Sunday night. I don't have your phone numbers here, and I don't know if Daddy called you.)

3 comments:

  1. Dr. Scaer is, of course, right. However, that does not answer the question of the causes of Anfectungen, nor does it address how one is to distinguish between the mental condition of clinical depression and the theological onslaught.

    -DMR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I know what you're saying. The thing I liked about the comment was that Anfechtung needs to be treated with forgiveness and the comfort of the Gospel, and the depression needs to be treated in its own medical way. They can (and often do) come as a package deal. But forgiveness is not a magic wand for chemical imbalance, and neither are chemicals any help in spiritual attack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried commenting once but got a blogger error, so here goes number two (feel free to edit if this is a repeat).

    I'm very sorry to hear about your father's latest troubles and pray the Lord's healing for him and strength and comfort for you all.

    Also, I'm really glad you're still reading my blog. :-)

    And I think the last sentence in your comment above is right on.

    ReplyDelete