Sunday, November 18, 2007

Class Wish-List

Jane tagged me a while ago, and I've been tardy about responding. Now there's probably nobody left to tag because the meme has been making its rounds. So here's the plan, if you want to play, consider yourself tagged. (Boy, I just take the lazy gal's way out way too often, don't I?)

According to the original poster, the rules for this meme are: "Devise a list of 5-10 courses you would take to fix your life. It’s more fun to be in classes with friends, so include one class from the person who tagged you that you’d also like to take. Tag five." Like Barbara said, I'm not sure about these classes being "fix-its." But they are things I'd like to study.

1. Piano and organ. I learned some piano when I was younger, but I want to spend time on being good at it. And I'd like to be able to transfer that over to organ too.

2. Business management. Not about running the business and providing a good service and keeping accounts. But hoop-jumping. All the stuff a person would need to know to comply with the burdensome government regulations: employing minors, abiding by safety regulations, paying complicated taxes, properly labeling food items, liability insurance, kitchen inspections, etc.

3. Alternative health measures. Particularly herbology. But also massage and acupressure.

4. Knitting. Last winter I realized that every chilly breeze across my neck caused painful knots in my back. Finally I wised up and knitted myself a pretty scarf. When Nathan saw me knitting, he was shocked. "What are YOU doing knitting??" Oh, I loved it! The clack of those wooden needles. The restfulness. I would like to knit more. But all I can do are potholders and scarves and other straight stitches.

5. Language. German would be my first choice. But I'd like to be fluent in Greek and ideally learn some Latin too. Spanish would be nice, as far as communicating with the people around me. But German is most important: I want to read Gerhardt and Heermann and Luther hymns and know what they actually say!

6. Photography. I like pictures. And I'm so bad at taking them. With digital cameras, there's not the huge cost-factor of learning. This is the one I'd like to take with Jane (who tagged me) because she takes a lot of very nice pictures, so she could give me pointers!

7. Decorating and fashion. I don't do pretty. I have no sense of how to decorate a house, how to put flowers in a yard, how to put on make-up or dress stylishly. I can recognize what's pretty when I see it. But I have no clue whatsoever of how to make anything pretty. I'm beginning to wish I could do that.

Looking at that list, I guess I could actually make a case (convoluted though it might be) that the first five would in some small way "fix my life." But the last two would definitely be for pleasure only.

No comments:

Post a Comment