Friday, November 23, 2007

The Will of God

Cause me to hear Your lovingkindness in the morning,
For in You do I trust.
Cause me to know the way in which I should walk,
For I lift up my soul to You.
Psalm 143:8

So often I want to what God wants me to do, to "know the way in which I should walk." I want to know whether to take this job or that job or stay at home full-time with the kids. We want to know which college to choose to attend. We want to know which car to buy.

A few weeks ago, as my husband and I talked with a pastor about some big decisions that need to be made, Pastor said something about "walking by faith." And he said something I kinda sorta had heard in fuzzy ways before, but never as bluntly as he put it.

It's not about figuring out what The Right Thing To Do might be. Buying the Buick instead of the Honda isn't right or wrong. Going to the state university instead of the private college isn't right or wrong. We make the best decisions we can. And then the "walk by faith" is knowing that God will do good to us, and work for our salvation, in whatever choice we make.

Last night I noticed the parallelism in that verse of Psalm 143. To know the way in which I should walk IS to hear His lovingkindness. Taking the job or not isn't about "what God wants for me." Rather, taking the job -- or not taking it -- puts me in a position where I will be shown my sin annnd resultingly will have God's grace in Christ showered upon me annnd will serve my neighbor through whichever choice I make.

3 comments:

  1. To know the way in which I should walk IS to hear His lovingkindness.

    Great observation, Susan.

    The same sort of "faith logic" was pointed out to me recently in a discussion about parables. To my logic, it seems unfair of God to hide Himself from unbelievers, and reveal even more to those who believe. So, how will the unbelievers ever be turned from their unbelief?

    But it's the same sort of thing. Those who are blind to God ARE BLIND TO GOD. That IS the definition of faith. The thing and the definition of it are one and the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know our family has been praying for you all. God's peace Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautifully put, Susan. I wish I could have put it so well when I had this discussion with my Baptist sil last year when they were waiting to hear about a carear change and a several state move... "If it's God's Will..." she would say with a LOT of fatalistic nonsense after that. God will provide for us whichever job we take, school we attend, etc.. He promises never to leave us or forsake us. Remembering that is "walking by faith". May we all be strengthened for and by that walk.

    ReplyDelete