Sunday, November 18, 2007

Manners and Caller-ID

It catches me off-guard when I call someone and they know who I am before I introduce myself. But that's okay.

What's not okay is the people who don't bother to introduce themselves. "Hi, it's me" is not enough. It's not enough to just launch into your message. Not everyone has caller-ID. Take the three seconds to tell your name to the person you're calling or to his answering machine.

And when it's not your habit to say your name at the start of every single phone call you make, then for heaven's sake, don't get huffy when the person doesn't call you back. Maybe the callee has no idea who the caller was.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh. . .you hit on one of my pet peeves! My fil has always done this to me and I still don't recognize his voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *67 is your friend for the first problem. I find it especially useful when calling delinquent parishioners. Carpe phonem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pr Esget, I can't find the "star" on my rotary-dial phone! ;-)

    ReplyDelete