Saturday, October 20, 2007

Buzzwords

"We have personally selected a small group of alumni to participate in the 'listening process'" for an "initiative" whereby "the Board of Regents will be seeking greater alumni involvement," because we "are committed to reconnecting and re-engaging with our beloved and important alumni." The Board "recently began articulating a long-term strategic vision for further stability and growth." This was in a letter that I received last week. Do I believe that I have been personally selected as part of a small group of alumni? How about you other grads of my college? Were you too personally selected as part of this elite group?

One of the men at church is head of the board of stewards. He is excited about three "new initiatives."

Whenever I see a church with a "mission statement," I become suspicious.

I like big words. I do! I have a hard time with sign language because the vocabulary is smaller than English, and I like finding just the right word, a more precise word than some generalized word. But buzzwords drive me bonkers! Why can't they just speak English? Plain simple English? Would it be too demeaning to say, "We have a new plan"? What is "strategic vision" anyway? And why do I always think that someone who talks that way is trying to schnooker impress me?

No comments:

Post a Comment