Saturday, September 08, 2007

Which Stanza Are We On?

How ingrained is that old hymnal, in ways that I don't even realize?

In LSB, some of the hymns have five stanzas in the music score. Whenever we get to verse 4, I skip to verse 5. I finally figured out why. Without even realizing it, my brain counts how many stanzas we're on. Number 4 means I sing the bottom line of words, right above the bass clef. That's what's been ingrained in me all my life. But now stanza #4 often isn't the bottom line, but the next-to-bottom line.

Even after I figured out the problem, I still keep making the mistake. I even will make the same mistake 3-4 times in the same hymn. I wonder how long it's going to take to drive that out of me.

2 comments:

  1. Some of the words have changed as well and I find myself singing the 'old' words without thinking about it......then I wonder what is wrong with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, of course you still sing some of the old words. WHY would you think that means there's something "wrong with you"???

    ReplyDelete