Sunday, September 02, 2007

BIG Spoon

Maybe I'm getting gross in my old age. Or maybe I'm getting practical. Sometimes you have to stir a big mess o' something. Meatloaf. Bread dough. Biscuits. Tortilla dough. Lettuce salad. Fruit salad. I have broken so many handles on big plastic spoons. And when I use a good, sturdy-handled spoon, it takes so long to mix those things.

But hands..... hands are very good utensils. They're big. You have two of them. (Well, most of us do.) They even have fingers that aren't stuck in one position. Sure is a lot faster to mix up a humongous fruit salad with your clean hands than with a couple of spoons.

When a neighbor taught me to make tortillas, the recipe called for "cutting the lard into the flour." (Are you listening, Rachel? Pie crust hint here.) She said you coooould cut in the fat with a pastry blender, or you could cut it in with two knives being wielded scissors-like. But she said what worked best was just mixing it with your hands, pinching the lard into the flour, making smaller and smaller pieces of the fat until it was "crumbly" or "the size of small peas" or whatever the recipe calls for.

Personally, I prefer the oil pie crust that Rachel made for her apple pie. But let it not be said that she lacks the equipment for making a pie crust with lard. If you can imagine the ASL sign for "money," that's basically what you do with the fat/flour mix, running it through your fingers with that rubbing motion. And you didn't want to take the peels off the apples anyhow: more flavor with the peels, more nutrition, more color.

5 comments:

  1. Sigh. I forgot to write in the cheese. Mozzerella we tried, but we thought that gouda would be a good option if we could afford it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... gouda...

    I had thought that the oil crust was the one you usually made- and it was brain-numbingly easy.

    So easy, in fact, that I finished off my pie apples yesterday so we could take a pie to Rick's today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always used my hands for meatloaf. And macaroni salad. And often other things when I become frustrated with the tools that I'm trying to use.

    I'll have to try them on my next pie crust. I'm looking for some nice, clean lard from non-commercial pigs before I have to make pies again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always used my hands, especially for meatloaf. Every once in a while I just get frustrated with whatever tools I'm using and in go the hands. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger glitched me. :) Both comments were from me. The one disapparated so I wrote again, after realizing that my daughter had been on my computer. :)

    ReplyDelete