Saturday, September 08, 2007

Grape Jelly

We didn't used to like grape jelly. That's because we got it from the store. Grape jelly made from your own grapes is altogether different.

But I found something to make it even better. I tried it two years ago and the jelly was fabulous. Went back to regular method last year, and the flavor of the jelly suffered (although it was still loads better than store jelly). Today I made grape jelly again and got a super-duper product.

Instead of smashing up the grapes and cooking them in water and extracting the juice, I put the grapes through my juicer. I have to send the leftover grape-mush through the juicer again and again, until it's finally dry enough that no more juice is being squeezed out. It makes a humongous mess; seeds flying everywhere and grape-stained hands and table. (I did the work outside.) Jelly made this way has such a good strong grapy flavor because no water is added. I used the pectin's recipe for grape jam instead of grape jelly, because so much of the fruit gets squeezed into the juice.

You'd never win a prize at the fair for this grape jelly: it doesn't have that clear, bejeweled look. And it's not lumpy enough to be proper jam. Nevertheless, the results make this jelly more valuable to me than any blue ribbon.

Twenty-six jars of jelly later, I learned two things. Jelly-making really does make me happy, and helps combat depression. (No wonder we've gotten totally overloaded with jam sometimes in the past.) Second, when you work in a kitchen with counter-space, everything is SO much easier! (I had to use the church kitchen because of the difficulty we're having with plumbing at the parsonage.)

8 comments:

  1. In case you need any assistance in eating said jelly, I am more than willing to take it off your hands...

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will making Applesauce have the same mental benefits as making grape jam?
    :)

    (Sorry about the continued plumbing issues.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Canning applesauce, tomatoes, and peaches has nowhere NEAR the therapeutic and joyful side effects as does making jam. That is a fact that can be recorded in the medical and psychological journals. Yes, it is.

    (Maybe that's because a jar of good jam is $4 and a jar of good applesauce is 89 cents.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We opened a new jar of your grape jelly the week J,J,and J stayed here. Jacob asked if Aunt Susan made it. When I answered "yes" he said "well, we KNOW it will be good then".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan!
    I am doing the same thing you did. I just sent a ton of grapes thru my juicer and I'm working on making it into jam. I found your website when I was trying to figure out what I'm doing!
    I have a Ball canning book, and Pomona's Pectin. I found one recipe for Grape Jam, I'm going for it!
    Blessings to you for charting new territory! Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Rachel the Canner -- oooh, yummy! I hope yours turns out as well as I did.

    And to Rachel the Daughter -- I suppooooose I could share with you. By the way, I nabbed two of the old hymnals for you. Don't know whether I should save them till I see you sometime, or continue to use the shelf at church for a drop-point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a movie to return to you, too, so we may as well wait until we see each other some time.

    We will see each other at some point, I assume...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have the juicer, but I agree that making jam and jelly is a life altering experience. :) There is NO going back! And when I've been able to use berries and grapes we grew ourselves, that feeling grew exponentially.

    Now I'm mad at myself for being so afraid of learning how to do this... I thought it would be so hard, you know?

    ReplyDelete