Monday, September 03, 2007

Raspberry Candy

Until a couple of years ago, I'd never had schnapps. All I knew about schnapps was that it was popular among my classmates in high school. Schnapps or beer: that was what I heard under-age people drank at parties.

Then my friend Sandy mentioned putting peach schnapps in her tea. Now, I love peach tea! But it's a lot more expensive than the plain black Lipton or Luzianne. So I checked out this schnapps concept. Turned out that (with a rebate) I could bring home a whole bottle of peach schnapps from the liquor store for only $2. That's less than one package of Bigelow or Celestial Seasonings tea.

Schnapps IS good in tea.
Turned out it was pretty good straight too. (No wonder it was so popular among kids.)

Last winter I was having raspberry cravings. My berry canes didn't bear, and there was no raspberry jam, no raspberry pie, no raspberry juice, no raspberry nothin'. So I decided to check out a bottle of Bols black raspberry liqueur. Oh my goodness! It was SO good. I think my son was concerned that I was becoming an alcoholic: I drank up the whole bottle in less than a month. (C'mon. It's less potent than the port wine we use for communion. Just one drink a day, and the bottle would be polished off in a week and a half.)

When Philip was expressing concern to Rachel that Mom was drinking that raspberry stuff too fast, I had him taste it. Then I had Rachel taste it. They both thought what I thought: wow, this is the best raspberry candy I ever ate! Tried some out on Sandy too; she thought it was really good.

It goes great in a fruit smoothie. Black raspberry liqueur goes great on top of ice cream. And you know what I tried it in yesterday? Instead of vanilla in the granola recipe, I tried the raspberry liqueur. Oh my goodness, didn't that turn out yummy!

5 comments:

  1. So, you will be coming to the Mommapalooza in Feb, so we can all try it together? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried raspberry schnapps, I'll have to do something about that. My parents used to put cream de minthe or Irish cream liqueur over ice cream. I still do so today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas here! Will have to try some of them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THe granola idea is wonderful. I did try Raspberry vodka in my chocolate martinis, but that was just too sweet. I will be making a batch of granola as soon as I get some raspberry liqueur. Will you be at the October Mamapalooza, we can try it out then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristi, the mamapalooza is on the calendar. I don't know if it will work out, given all the other things on the calendar for that weekend. But my hope is to get down to Melody's for an evening. I'd hate to miss it with everybody being so close by.

    ReplyDelete