Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Theology of Prosperity

Delight yourself also in the Lord,
and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4


How often we've heard that this verse promises all sorts of goodies to Christians. I remember its being the theme-verse of a friend's wedding shower. She delighted herself in the Lord, and so God was giving her a nice husband and a lovely wedding. And then there's the Prayer of Jabez (and whatever faddish heresy has replaced that one). And then there's the promise of a happy, well-adjusted family if you just follow biblical principles.

IF your delight is in the Lord, what is the desire of your heart?

Him. Right?

Delight yourself in the Lord, and He shall give you Himself. And forgiveness. And salvation. And life everlasting. And the Holy Spirit. And a preacher. And the sacraments. What more could your heart desire?

2 comments:

  1. I think it goes like you tagged MummeMom, She tagged Muddyboots who tagged me! ;) That covers about everyone I know! I'm tagging back - take your time, wedding and all! The question is at the end! ;)

    Blessings in Christ
    Jenn
    http://www.homesteadblogger.com/gonorthyoungpack/57017/Tagged...%3F%3F%3F%3F.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday I'm going to get a blog post written about my two years at the Fundy boarding school.

    Misapplication of this verse is just the beginning.

    ReplyDelete