Monday, March 26, 2007

Podunkville

The doctor needs me to go to the hospital for some tests. She couldn't get me in to the local hospital today. But tomorrow I have to be at Children's all day with Maggie for speech pathology, x-ray, and ENT. So I floated the idea of having me take the tests while we're at the big medical complex in the city tomorrow. Doctor thought it was a great idea. She called to make the appt. They laughed at her! The first appt available is in two weeks. She needs test results sooner than that, so she called around the urgent care facilities in our county until she could find someone who could fit me in today. Goodness gracious, the big city sounds like the Canadian health care system: you better not need anything right away. Emergencies are not permitted because they weren't scheduled in advance. ;-) It sure is different out here in Podunkville where there aren't so many people to fit in.

1 comment:

  1. When I had a doctor in L.A., believe it or not, it worked the same way. The hospital was a small, Catholic one, and it was just like being in a small town. He would send me down for an ultrasound, but forgot to send an order, and because they just knew how he was, they did it and told me to relay a message that they are supposed to have an order for it! Same story with lab work, etc.

    Good doctor...not a good bureaucrat though....lol. Luckily, he found a place where he could be that way.

    ReplyDelete