Saturday, December 02, 2006

Hospital Update - 6

Maggie's fever has been down since midnight; we haven't even given her meds for it since early evening yesterday. I got up three times during the night to check on her. Once, though, was courtesy of the cat. She wanted to go out, and she jumped up on the bed and stuck her cold nose right onto my nose. She does that sometimes, and it's no big deal. (She absolutely hates to meow or make noise.) But last night when she did it, I about jumped out of my skin: I couldn't figure out why there were furry creatures in ICU and why one was right smack in my face! "Oh, wait. We're not in ICU anymore. Oh, it's just the cat. We're home now."

Cardiology said we had to check in with our family doctor this week. When I called this morning to make the appt, the receptionist told me that Dr C was only in the office Monday and Tuesday, and that she was booked solid both those days. She told Gary two weeks ago that she definitely wanted to see Maggie post-surgery. So the receptionist is seeing what she can do to squeeze us in. We usually make "urgent" appts a week or more in advance, and then cancel if we've improved. But I didn't know when we'd be getting out of the hospital, to know when to schedule a follow-up.

They gave us Lasix tablets. Maggie is supposed to take a half pill each day. They said I'd have to cut them. No problem, I thought. Then I saw how tiny they are. Hmmm. I sharpened my sharpest knife, and proceeded to split itsy-bitsy pills into itsier-bitsier pieces this morning. I'll give her the "big halves" sooner and the "smaller halves" later. And I think we'll have to go heavy on the bananas and oj and chocolate while we're on the "bigger halves." The biggest danger with Lasix is potassium depletion.

One boy got re-addicted to the computer while we were gone. I'll give it another day or so (for my chance to catch up on laundry and bills and cleaning) before I cruelly and heartlessly rip the brain-numbing computer games away from him again.

4 comments:

  1. Too late, I was gonna tell you to go to your local drugstore and buy a pill splitter. They're not very expensive at all. Sometimes the pharmacist will even be sweet and give you one. My hubby can't live without his. He gets a huge bottle of pills from the VA and his dosage is only half a tablet, and these are very tiny tablets to being with too! We got him a neat little pill splitter that actually has a place in it to store the pills he's already split. Nice little gadget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God for His mercies and for the strength He has given, and continues to give, to you and your family through this trial. The peace of Christ be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, red bananas taste essentially the same but have twice the potassium. You may want to stock a few through this time. Continuing to pray for her recovery, your strength and anything else God knows you need. jmmom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, I suspect I'd still have to get the pills inserted straight in the pill-splitter. That's the trouble I was having with the knife. But I think I got over half of them split right smack down the middle.

    Jean, I haven't seen red bananas at the grocery store in a couple of years. I put it on the list, though, in case there might be some at the health-food co-op. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete