Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Hospital Update - 11

The night has gone pretty well. They now allow a parent to sleep/doze in ICU. For Mag's last surgery, that was strictly prohibited. So Gary stayed at RMH, and I stayed in ICU. I got about 4 hours of sleep before Maggie woke up enough to desire a little attention. Prior to 3:00am she was pretty zoned out. She'd nod or shake her head in answer to questions, but rarely spoke. (Oh, by the way, that reminds me. They extubated her before bringing her out of OR. Last open-heart, it was more than 5 days on the breathing tube.) When we asked last evening if we could put on a book-on-tape or a movie or even just a Kantorei CD, the answer was NO. She was tired, and really needed for us to hush. (For some reason, she feels compelled to listen in and pay attention when conversation is going on. So our talking was disturbing her ability to rest. I can't imagine where she would get that trait of wanting to Not Miss Anything around her.)

I am now briefly kicked out of the room for x-rays.

Maggie needed some whole blood last night. Her hematocrit was down to 28. Earlier they'd given plasma because her blood pressure was pretty low, and they assumed that was due simply to volume; the plasma solved that problem.

Chest tubes are not draining too much anymore, and that's looking quite good. She has SO few tubes compared to what I expected!

For the last couple of hours, she has appreciated my sitting on the bed with her while we listen to a Ramona book read by Stockard Channing. Mag is feeling more chatty now, opens her eyes a lot more, and has questions about the tubes and the monitors and when will she get to have a drink.

Well, x-rays are probably done, so I should get back there.

Many thanks to you all for your prayers and your encouragement!

6 comments:

  1. Oh give thanks to the Lord for He is good!

    Continuing to pray for you all,

    Cheryl Magness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update! Prayers continue.

    It is so nice that you are permitted to be close to her this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Susan. Jennie Stumm here (long time no connect!) You're in our prayers and thoughts, especially now. I was waiting to hear about her surgery. So glad to hear Maggie is perking up a bit and you've made it through your first night with at least a little sleep. Can we send cards to Maggie? Is there a room number for Maggie?

    We're going back to Syracuse to see Dr. Shprintzen next week for our 3-year follow up for Krista. (That tells me how long it's been since I've talked with you, and I do sincerely apologize.) Anyway, I'm so glad you have this blog - technology can be such a blessing!

    Sincerely,
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying here in Iowa. Very happy to hear that a Ronald McDonald House is available to you.
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan,
    Our prayers are with Maggie, and with your whole family. Thanks for keeping us up to date.


    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennie asked about an address. I have here the envelope and the "Book of Lore" and autographed pictures that David Daniel sent. (Can you tell that I'm a little star struck that one of our favorite actors sent something personally to Maggie? Wow!)

    It says
    Magdalena Gehlbach (patient)
    Children's Hospital of Wisconsin
    P O Box 1997
    Milwaukee WI 53201-1997

    But I'm not sure about cards -- not sure that they'd arrive before we leave. During pre-op, they said that "normal" expectations would be that we'd go home Sunday or Monday or Tuesday. But they did say that it has been known that some kids could go home as soon as three days (which would probably be Friday afternoon). Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

    Jennie, I hope the visit in NY goes well. Been wondering how Krista is doing, and really really wanted to get to the NCRLoop retreat last spring for a chance to meet you. But there were too many schedule conflicts with the other kids to go gallavanting that week. The puppy you sent me is still sitting in its basket on my desk, reminding me that there is at least one other homeschool mommy who's been down this vcfs road ahead of me and is doing just fine. :-)

    ReplyDelete