Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Is It Selfish to Fight for Homeschooling Freedoms? (Part 5)

Flipping through my "Day by Day We Magnify Thee" Monday night, I found a scribbled-out quote from a novel I read on vacation a few years back (the only time I ever get to read grown-up for-fun books). This is from Gillian Bradshaw's Render Unto Caesar (p. 432) which is set shortly before the fall of Rome. Discussing the evils of their society, and the troubles, and how to respond, and what to support when both sides of the political structure are corrupt, one character responds to the other:

"The empire isn't going to fall, so our only option is to support those parts of it that make it something we can endure."

Now, the "empire isn't going to fall" was not really inaccurate; the discussion was about whether it would fall imminently. I have often thought that this quote fits quite well for a Christian's place in American society. Especially one of my political persuasion.

What do we do in society and in the political arena now? We know our meager efforts are not going to dismantle the entrenched politics. We may make differences. We try to do our best. But so much is unchangeable. So we support those parts of the system that make the society endurable in the midst of too much raw evil as well as too much power-grabbing.

To me, homeschool freedoms support the things that make this society work. It supports families. It supports the honor of parents to be the authority over their children. Homeschooling freedoms is one wee demonstration that governmental authority flows from the authority of the father, and not vice versa. Homeschooling freedoms allow for options and alternatives, instead of insisting on all power and decision-making being caught up under one mindset.

Some may say that homeschooling freedoms might allow for people to be free FROM education instead of free to choose WHICH education. Although I really don't see it (and I know a whole lot of homeschoolers and unschoolers), I suppose it IS possible. But I believe that it is a small risk. I also believe that the State's regulation and monitoring of homeschoolers brings much greater risk to society as we "support those parts of it that make it something we can endure" than does the acknowledgement that parents can and should make those decisions for their children.

I'm sure I could go on and on, but the washer is nearly done, and I want to get back to the hospital and see how my gal is doing.

1 comment:

  1. I've always been 'curious' about homeschooling, but we are sooo busy to do it (and I guess that's our own doing!). It is also tough that I still have to pay the school tax (I assume), whether or not I use the public school. In any case, I don't feel so pushed towards homeschooling because our suburbian school district is pretty good. While I'm commenting, you may be interested in a couple posts over at the Quipper's Blog on this very same subject - here and here.

    Thanks and God Bless,
    Jonathan
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete