Sunday, October 15, 2006

Back Home; the Nunc Dimittis

Dad's home from the hospital! Wooohooo! He'll be a lot happier at home. Interesting how my mom and my sister-in-law were saying that it's kinda nice to be in the hospital, having them bring your meals, with no laundry or dishes to do; also, not wanting to get home too early, but wanting to wait until you knew for sure your body was doing okay before leaving the doctors and nurses. But I'm more like Dad -- I want to bust on outta there as soon as possible.

Sitting in the hospital the last couple of days, I realized that sudokus make an excellent distraction. They can very easily be interrupted and picked up again later, unlike books or editing. I also realized that I'm going to have to be diligent about getting out to jog while Maggie's in the hospital; it's too easy to stay there with the patient all day, just wanting to be near and know everything that's happening.

Issues Etc is broadcasting live from Milwaukee tonight and tomorrow afternoon. I had wanted to take the kids to Shorewood tonight for the show. I thought it would be educational, and fun too. But I got up this morning at 5 (not my best time of day!) and drove back home from my parents', even getting here with time to jog and shower before church. I'm thinking that going to the city, with plans to get home at 1:00 a.m., would not be tremendously wise. However, tomorrow they're broadcasting from Mequon. The 4:00 hour is on justification. Seeing as how I've begged a few times for a local repeat of the Justification Seminar that was presented last May in California, I'm thinking that it might be good to go for that hour of Issues. Also, Nathan's favorite prof has the last half-hour of the show, and I've been wanting to meet him or at least hear him speak.

For the last year or so, one of Pastor's emphases has been on "according to Scripture." Like in the Creed: "rose again according to the Scriptures." And how that's got to do with what the Old Testament said about the Messiah, and not merely what is recorded in the Gospels. Today I noticed in the post-communion canticle that Simeon said something similar. "Lord, now let Your servant depart in peace according to Your word." For some reason, I particularly liked that today. The ending of the confessional rite is:

The God of peace Himself will sanctify you wholly and keep your spirit, soul, and body sound and blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who called you is faithful and He will do it. Go in peace.

And there are the words prior to the Agnus Dei: "the peace of the Lord be with you always." And the words at the end of the sermon: "the peace of God which passes all understanding keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Even back at the start of the service: "Glory be to God on high, and on earth, peace, goodwill toward men."

After all those many declarations of peace throughout the Service, we respond with "all righty, You SAID that You were giving peace, now I'm holding You to Your word. Let it be done for me according to Your word. The peace is what You promised. Amen, amen, yes, yes, it shall be so."

No comments:

Post a Comment