Saturday, October 21, 2006

Inclusive Language

I started looking at TLH hymns last night, and which ones were kept in LSB, and which ones were changed significantly. One of the things that struck me was the amount of inclusive language that was popped-in here and there. But somehow, most of it is relatively innocuous. There are a lot of places where "He" is replaced by "God." But not everywhere, like is done in hymnals in some of those rabidly feminist denominations. I even found one place where "Creator" was replaced by "our Father" which is definitely going the wrong direction from the politically-correct crowd. There are a lot of places where "mankind" is replaced by "people." I guess that's not so bad. The one that bugs me a little more is when the change is from "sons of God" to "children of God." That has a little more theological import. Jesus is the Son of God; we are in Him; we (girls included) are thus sons of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment