Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Dobby on "Freedom of a Christian"

Pr Stuckwisch's favorite line in the sixth book of Harry Potter is at the climax, when Malfoy is threatening to kill Dumbledore, and says, "You're at my mercy." Dumbledore responds, "No, Draco, it is my mercy, and not yours, that matters now." That line is precious. But one I like as much (or better) is at the end of chapter 19, when Harry sent Kreacher and Dobby off to spy on Malfoy.

For those of you who don't know the story, Kreacher is a house-elf (servant). He used to belong to one of the evil families who supported the Dark Lord. But after a few deaths and inheritances, he ended up as the property of Harry, bound to obey his master. However, Harry is the one who the prophecy declares will destroy the Dark Lord. Kreacher murmurs and complains about his awful new master. Dobby, on the other hand, used to be a miserable house-elf for another evil family who supports the Dark Lord. Through a little trickery, Harry managed to get Dobby's master to free him from slavery. Dobby loved Harry while he was still in bondage, and loves Harry even more now that he is free. Now that that's established, back to the quote.

Harry wanted Kreacher to spy on Dobby's former master. Kreacher of course went quite grudgingly. Dobby wanted to go too. He didn't think Kreacher would do a good enough job. Dobby's response made me think of the second half of Romans 6. It made me think of what Pastor has said about Mary Magdalene being freed by Jesus, and how she didn't use her freedom to return to her previous employment.



Harry said, "Dobby, I know I'm not allowed to give you orders...."

"Dobby is a free house-elf and he can obey anyone he likes and Dobby will do whatever Harry Potter wants him to do!" said Dobby, tears now streaming down his shrivelled little face onto his jumper.


:-) Isn't that just a nifty example of "you are not under law"?

8 comments:

  1. And when we first met dobby, he was so mightily struggling with his bondage to sin, but the new-man dobby can be seen as a psalms 1:2 kinda guy.

    Nice.

    I have to admit, Susan, that I was kinda surprised to see this in your blog. I'm glad I did tho!

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right, Scott. I'm lost. WHY are you surprised to see this in my blog???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Usually you are very aware of your failure to obey the Law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True enough, Scott! :-)

    But I guess in the last couple of years I've heard a whole lot of wrong theology with regard to "third use" and with regard to a legalistic view of the liturgy.

    And also.... maybe.... I just squeak and whine more when I am (as you said) very aware of my failure to obey the Law. But you don't hear me whining when I am freely and joyfully obeying the Law. ;-)

    I think Dobby's comment is quite apropos to the whole thing of "preaching third use of the law." If the Christian knows what the law is, the New Man joyfully does what is asked, without being hounded about it. And if the Old Adam fights, the solution is not to tame him or try to talk some "moral sense" into him, but just to kill him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, Scott, I didn't see your blog entry. That was before Jane enticed me into the blogging world. In August, I was still checking only my children's blogs, and only about 3 times a month. But today I read your August post. I liked it. Thanks for mentioning it. (Although I probably should've skipped many of the comments.)

    Y'know, when you live a life (for years and years on end) when the pastor refuses to "preach third use" and when you make liberal use of the sacrament of private absolution, you begin to SEE and EXPERIENCE and sometimes eeeeven FEEL that it actually is the Gospel that brings about the fruit of the Spirit, that it is the Gospel that incites a person to good works, that it is the Gospel that is the engine of the Christian life.

    Most of us Christians today (even Lutherans) may say we believe in the power of the Gospel. But when it comes right down to it, we don't trust that God can sanctify us and bring forth good fruit simply by pastors preaching killing accusing law and following up with abundant forgiveness of sins. We think that we have to tell people how to act. We trust the Law, not the Gospel.

    And that can be very disconcerting when a person knows that it's not the Law that changes us. The people who say "but...." really haven't tried several years worth of the law being used lawfully and forgiveness being applied freely and lavishly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One more thing. About "third function" of the law. I think the fact that it's commonly called "third use" has really changed the way we look at it: we think we can "use" the law in a certain way, instead of recognizing that the law can only be preached (accusing the sinner) and it "functions" as God intends instead of how the pastor or parent intends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. INDEED! Susan, that is my personal crusade. The confessions do not speak of this "use" which, as you rightly state, carries an unfortunate conotation. So everywhere I see USE, I react...

    :-)

    Scott -Functions happen, uses are employed.

    ReplyDelete