Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My Day in this Parsonage

I love it that I can fill an empty gas tank in my car for less than $30!

My son is filling out applications for employment in Japan. It would be good for his acquisition of fluency in Japanese. It would be a good career move. And all I can think is that it's hard enough to find a good church in America, so how will he ever find one in Japan?

I wonder if y'all have heard of "Smart Chicken." The organic birds are about double the price of regular chicken. However, the stuff that's not organic free-range chicken costs only about 20% more than the regular chicken at the store. But it's not injected with liquids. The chicken is raised without antibiotics. The chicken is not fed animal by-products. And it comes chilled but not frozen. I simply can't afford the organic ones, but the plain ol' Smart Chicken just seems like a good plan. If mosts of the chickens and turkeys are regularly injected with broth solutions that make up 1/6 or more of the weight, then Smart Chicken actually costs about the same. But the chicken is a lot healthier, for essentially the same price. "Ask for it at your grocery store." :-) I now have twelve leg quarters cooking in the crockpot for a humongo pot of gumbo tomorrow. Ummmmm.

The church voters assembly met on Sunday. They discussed the need for the parsonage to be painted. Last time they painted, they trampled all my flowers around the house. Some recovered the following year. But many were killed good-n-dead. How do you tell volunteers who want to hurry and get a job done that they ought to be careful of your plants? After all, it's their house, not mine. It's their responsibility to paint, not mine. If I want the job done right, I should be willing to do it myself. But I'm not willing. But I know the roses and the hostas and the asparagus and the sedum are doomed.

The trustees also looked into getting a rust filter for the well water. The voters approved using last year's profits from the turkey dinner for a good filter system. That means that our underwear will no longer be orangey-pink. That means that when we clean the rust out of the toilet, the red stripes in the bowl won't be back in less than 24 hours. That means that I can actually wash the altar linens and purificators, and not have them come out grungier than when I took them off the altar. That means that I won't have sulfur odors wafting through the house whenever we open up the faucets after having them off for several hours. Pretty cool!

Although Lutheran Service Book has all sorts of great things in it, I just can't get over the loss of some of the really good hymns. The stanzas they left out of "O Lord, How Shall I Meet Thee" and "Jesus, Thy Boundless Love to Me." The translation changes in "Lord Jesus Christ, Thou Living Bread" and "Lord Jesus Christ, With Us Abide" and "From God Shall Naught Divide Me." The ones that got left out altogether ("I Will Sing My Maker's Praises" and "To Shepherds as They Watched by Night") are almost better, because we can still get them out of TLH. For some reason, these things just have me immensely sad today.

But, for good news, my dad came home from the hospital on Sunday. Things are going well at home. Test results confirm that the mass removed was malignant, but (yeehaw!) was encapsulated and had not spread at all. They expect that he should not need radiation or chemo.

We went to the last two hours of the live broadcast of "Issues Etc" yesterday. I couldn't believe how the time flew! I thought they were taking a quarter-hour break, and it turned out it was the half-hour break. (That's what I get for not wearing a watch....) For the last half-hour of the broadcast, Nathan's prof was on, and Nathan and his roommate from freshman year were also on the show. They didn't get a chance to say too much, but I thought it was pretty nifty nonetheless.

7 comments:

  1. Susan,
    I am looking for an overall factual review of LSB hymnody stating the major alterations (which hymns were eliminated, added, which hymns were partially eliminated). More than simply helping me make a decision about the purchase of LSB (Which we will probably do) it will help me know which hymns I need to make sure to incorporate in the future. If I don't know which ones they are I just might get used to living without them. Know anyone who has done such a review? Don't know if I want to take the time myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher, I don't know if anyone else has done that kind of review. I had figured that I'd have it done by now -- working on it during the middle of the nights in ICU last week. But plans changed, and I haven't pored over my LSB yet. But I will. I never thought of posting lists here, with the hymns they forgot to include, or the hymns where the translation was changed in ways of which I don't approve. (Oh, wait, you were hoping for a factual review and not an emotional one.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it comes to hymnody, can you separate the factual and the emotional? I think they rest side by side in music and poetry. They are supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you put a few stakes and string around your asparagus bed to keep the birds away as well as those who don't know it takes so long to get a harvest from this particular plant? As winter is coming maybe your roses could benefit from some wind breaks too.

    HTH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hymnals become our good friends. They see us through the rejoicing and the weeping and the growing. Parting with them is painful. We love them and it is hard to love another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're not just our good friends, Chris. What we've memorized from the hymnal is kinda like having a pastor with us, preaching in the laundry room or while driving.

    I could've loved LSB easily. But there are too many things I've lost, and the pain over that is too great, for me to like the new hymnal the way Pastor thinks I should.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marie, I'm not sure that I can block things off. For example, my asparagus is growing in a patch right next to the garage. That's the south wall and the one that needs painting the worst. The painters need to be in the asparagus bed to do the job. But like my husband says, if it were their own wife's flowers or plants, there'd be some care taken not to stand the ladder right smack on the roses, not to set up the scaffolding right smack on the baby asparagus, and to plant your feet between or behind the hostas (because there's plenty of space to do it and wouldn't take that much effort to avoid them). My only hope is that a lot of the people who painted last time are just too old to help this time, and I think the younger guys (the ones in their 50s instead of 80s) would probably be more thoughtful this way. I hope they'll watch out for those things when the others get careless.

    ReplyDelete