Saturday, October 14, 2006

Private Hospital Rooms

The kids and I recently began reading Farewell to Manzanar, a book about the relocation of Japanese-Americans during WWII. The Wakatasuki family managed to keep the family together on the buses headed out to the concentration camps, and also managed to snag a unit of one of the barracks for their family. However, the family was too big to all fit in one unit, so one of the married daughters and her husband ended up with strangers (as did nearly everyone else in the concentration camp). On Thursday, we were reading about the difficulty of that lack of privacy for them and how desperate the couple was to find something –anything-- that would get them out of the situation of living with strangers.

Friday I drove down to my hometown to sit with Dad in the hospital while Mom went to a funeral and the sibs were at work. For the first three days of his recuperation from surgery, Dad hadn’t exactly been being a very patient patient. (Incidentally, things were MUCH improved by the time I arrived.)

During the day I began to realize how very nice it is to have a private room in the hospital. When Maggie has been hospitalized she always had a private room except for the first ICU (in Madison) where there was a huge amount of space between beds due to all the ICU equipment. When I was in the hospital having babies, I didn’t have roommates. (One time, the whole maternity ward had been closed for over a week, and they had to open it up and call in staff for me and baby Paul.) When my friend Steve was in the hospital, there was never a roommate with him when I visited.

To share a room (especially a small room) with a stranger, that makes the whole experience a little different. There are two tv’s running. There are two sets of conversations. You know that whatever the therapist says to you is heard by the other patient and his family. You know that the conversations with visitors are being overheard. The amount of noise or amount of light in the room is something to take into account for the other person. If you want to pray or sing, you wonder how that’s going to affect the other patient. If the other patient has a potty mouth, that’s affecting you.

I know that hospitals used to have wards, and I used to think that semi-private rooms were an unnecessary luxury. But in my old age now, getting cranky and used to my privacy, I’m really glad that next month in Milwaukee I know we’ll have the luxury of a private room for Mags. Boy, I am spoiled rotten.

6 comments:

  1. This week we reconnected with my roommate from my hospital stay 3 years ago. She so wanted to hear from us that she sent a letter in care of the FBI office in Cleveland! She was relatively young (my age) and had had several strokes. While in the hospital we talked about pain, God's will and suffering. I never realized how much of an impact those conversations had on her. She left 2 days before the end of my stay and the next person I got as a roommate was very ill and moaned because of pain almost constantly. She made me more than eager to go home myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caleb spent a week in the hospital as a toddler and I stayed with him. A private room was such a blessing. One night, I climbed inside his mist-tented crib to nurse and get some sleep myself, and the nurse came in and kicked me out of the crib. Liability, doncha know.
    An exhausting week for all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to that, from the one sharing this experience with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb, Gary had a situation like yours. He had a roommate who was nice; they chatted; they got along. And he was very interested to hear what Gary had to say about Jesus. Ended up being catechized and returned to the Church before his death.

    And Polly, I wondered last night, walking past NICU, what would happen at the hospital if I crawled in bed with Mag. It wouldn't be a crib, so I might stand a better shot than you had.

    And Mom, you made it work! Good for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is nice to have a private room. I felt sorry for the two roommates my dad had during that last hospital stay, until he got a private room for his last days. He had so much company. I was there all the time, my kids were in and out as well as his seven siblings, their spouses & kids, the Amish families that he was close to.... It was pretty much an endless stream of people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Jane! I like the privacy of the private room. But I think even more than what I want is my worry about infringing on the other person. And yet, you don't want to deny visitors, or try to be ultra quiet, just in case it might bother the other guy. It just makes you feel self-conscious when it seems like there should be more important things on your mind.

    ReplyDelete