Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Stone That Took Down Goliath

This morning's Bible class was on David and Goliath. David -- a type of Christ. Goliath -- a type of Satan.

Goliath had his own armor to fight against God's people. Psalm 147: The Lord does not delight in the strength of the horse; He takes no pleasure in the legs of a man. The Lord takes pleasure in those who fear Him, in those who hope in His mercy.

David used a stone to kill Goliath. It just so happens that that word for stone is the same word which refers elsewhere to Jesus. Psalm 118 and Matthew 21: The stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone.




David put his hand into his bag and took out a stone. He slung it and struck the Philistine in his forehead, so that the stone sank into his forehead, and he fell on his face to the earth. (1 Samuel 17:49)

Jesus told the Jews, "Whoever falls on this Stone will be broken, but on whomever it falls, it will grind him to powder." (Matthew 21:42-44)

1 comment:

  1. This reminded me of Psalm 151 from the Septuagint.

    1 I was small among my brothers
      And the youngest in my father's house;
      I tended my father's sheep.
    2 My hands built a musical instrument;
      My fingers tuned a lyre.
    3 And who shall tell my Lord?
      The Lord Himself, He Himself hears.
    4 He sent forth His Angel
      And took me from my father's sheep;
      And he anointed me with his anointing oil
    5 My brothers were handsome and tall,
      But the Lord took no pleasure in them.
    6 I went out to meet the foreigner,
      And he cursed me with his idols;
    7 But I drew his own sword and
        beheaded him.
      And removed disgrace from the
        children of Israel.

    I know the Psalm isn't about the Stone, but I think it is very Christological. It is a strong reminder that everything concerning the account of David/Goliath is meant to foreshadow (and teach us about) Christ's battle with Satan for us "who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all." Our disgrace (sin) has been removed.

    Anyway, I liked your thoughts! Not trying to derail your post or anything. Hope you don't mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete