Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Gift-Buying

When we buy a gift, we want it to be pleasing to the recipient. Sometimes, especially come the Christmas season, we put a lot of thought (and stress) into choosing the right gift. We don't know what to buy or make because the person has so much already. There's nothing left that he doesn't have, nothing left to delight him.

So why do we agonize over finding the right thing? If most Americans are already satiated with stuff, then there's almost nothing that will actually be appreciated. So why do we knock ourselves out trying to find Just The Right Thing for someone who has everything? Maybe it's okay to give a gift solely for the purpose of showing that you're thinking of the person, and not for the sake of giving something they need or lack or want.

(This is why it's so fun to buy gifts for those who have little. They're tickled with everything!)

4 comments:

  1. "..soley for the purpose of showing that you're thinking about the person."

    Hmmm. Yes. My angst over this issue is sadly tied to my concern about what the mother of the recipients might think of me, when it should be about giving period. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to stress about gift-giving, especially when you have friends who give lavishly, expensive gifts to YOU! How can I compete? How can I keep up with the Joneses?

    I can't, so I don't. I give from the heart, something with meaning, and with the realization that it may be a few years before that person realizes the gift's worth. And I am also selective. It may sound a bit harsh, but when you are watching your spending, you can't just get something for everyone, simply because everyone is doing it. I've never had anyone get angry to my face because I DIDN'T get them a present!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'know, Lisa, if somebody DID get angry to my face because of the lack of present, it would probably be a service to them that there was no present, in that they would need to learn the whole world doesn't revolve around themselves and what kind of presents they get and how much people spent on the gift. (Oops. I think I'm following your "harsh" lead. LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - you are so right Susan!

    A few weeks ago my nephew (godson) was confirmed, and I think we can all agree that at 14 years old getting a "Lutheran Prayer Book" of some sort isn't much fun as presents go. My nephew didn't look overly thrilled with my well-thought-out appropriate confirmation gift (though he kindly thanked me). But then, lo 'n behold last week he brought up the Book of Concord at dinner. He stuttered and stammered a bit at first but finally admitted that it was pretty interesting reading. He didn't have Pastor Bender for cathechsis so he isn't as well educated as the youngun's at Peace, so I was quietly jumping for joy that he cracked the spine and dove in!

    ReplyDelete