Thursday, March 05, 2009

We Are Marshall

For some reason, our kids have no patience for the sports-themed movies that Gary and I often like to watch. I don't know if it's because we raised them too devoid of sports outings, or if it's because they don't like the "perseverance" theme, or what. But when We Are Marshall arrived from Netflix, somebody groaned and said, "Another football movie??!!?"

It was a good football movie. But it was more. It's a true story of what happened in a college town when virtually the whole football team and coaching staff, as well as some of the boosters, died in a plane crash on the way home from a game. This movie wasn't just about rebuilding the football program. It was also a story of how people mourn. How they cope with loss. How different people have different perspectives on what it means to "honor the dead." I really really liked this movie. There's just something I enjoy about a movie where a ragtag group of guys is thrown together and turned into a team.



For those with kids, it's one of the cleanest PG movies I've seen in a while, although there are numerous instances of the s-word. There's also the plane crash that some kids will be bothered by. Of course, there's some less-than-stellar theology, but I can't ask for everything in a movie, now, can I?

No comments:

Post a Comment