Friday, March 06, 2009

Lazarus's Graveclothes

John 11:44 -- And he who had died came out bound hand and foot with graveclothes, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, "Loose him, and let him go."

I have long wondered why John made such a big deal (20:7) about Jesus' graveclothes, and that the face cloth was folded up neatly, not lying with the linen cloths that had been about His body. I've heard some explanations that helped, but none of them is entirely right, so right that I can say, "Ah, yes! Of course! That's it!"

At Burt's funeral last week, I noticed this bit about the raising of Lazarus. It mentions how he was bound with graveclothes, and mentions the face cloth separately. This means something. I have no idea what. For now, it's just something to wonder about, to puzzle over, until someday we know why John included these details and why he knew they showed us something about Jesus and His love for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment