Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sticky Rice

I like my basmati to have no crunch and yet no mushiness, and for the rice not to be sticky. Normally that's how it turns out. Sometimes it's sticky, which would be great if I wanted to use chopsticks. Which I don't! I never knew, though, why it would turn out differently.

I think I figured it out. The other day I was trying to make everything come out at the right time to be done for supper. Because of whatever-it-was I was doing, we started the rice on low heat and let it cook for longer than normal. It turned out STICKY.

So that must be the key. If I want the rice to turn out the way I like, I need to bring the rice and water to a boil over high heat, and then let it simmer for the rest of the cooking time. If I want sticky rice, it needs to start over low heat and stay on low heat. Seems simple enough, now that I know....

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm... I think I'll blog the African method. (But that's always sticky. Non-sticky rice is just wrong!)

    ReplyDelete