Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sweet Potatoes

Although some of us love 'em, some of us think that sweet potatoes more than once a month is really a bit much. We've gotten sweet potatoes a few times with our CSA, so I was looking for something to do besides just baking them. What I tried tonight was a hit! It's a little sweet to be considered a veggie dish instead of dessert, but healthier and less sugary than a lot of side dishes. It's easy to throw together, and a 13x9 was almost enough for the five of us piggies.


Grease a 9x9" pan.

In a large bowl, toss together:
5 cups diced sweet potatoes
2 cups diced apples
1/4 cup brown sugar

Stir together:
2 Tbsp maple syrup (or pancake syrup)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Add 1/2 cup apple cider
(or apple juice or orange juice)

Pour cider mix over potatoes and apples.
Sprinkle 1/4 cup chopped walnuts over the top.
Cover with foil.
Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until cooked through, removing foil the last 15 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Try deep-fried sweet potato chips... I've never made them but I've had them at restaurants. No added sugar, so they must be healthy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh! That hadn't crossed my mind at all. I've had french-fries out of sweet potatoes, and they were awesome.

    Let's see. I deep-fry in lard, which is not at all refined or hydrogenated. And the sugar is refined. So yep yep yep, fries or chips would definitely be healthier! Yummmm.

    I hope to be sending Maggie down your way tomorrow or the next day. I'm going on vacation to FtW to clean toilets and wash dishes. (Wait. Did I just use the word "vacation" in connection with cleaning toilets?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this for supper tonight! I used half the brown sugar and substituted water for the apple cider. It was sweet enough to be yummy and yet not too sweet. John said with cider the apple flavor would have been overpowering. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete