Thursday, August 07, 2008

"100" -- Medicinal

42. Both the leaves and the flowerheads are much bigger in RED CLOVER than in white clover. And red clover doesn't have the gloriously sweet smell that white clover does. Red clover, though, is good for fighting cancer.




43. The purple coneflowers are ECHINACEA, the herb often used to support the immune system's response to viral infection.

44. The yellow flowers in the same picture are called rudbeckia. I kept trying to find out how they differed from BLACK-EYED SUSAN, until finally I discovered that one is the scientific name and the other is the common name for the same thing.




45. Remember what I said earlier about mint? Leaves in pairs, directly across from each other, and each pair offset from the pairs above and below it? And a square stem -- that's a huge clue to finding a mint. I put PEPPERMINT in my backyard at the parsonage; that's where this picture was taken. Mints can spread wildly and take over. That's why the former owner of this house had her mints in small planters. I haven't done much to keep them alive, but last time I checked, the peppermint wasn't a goner yet. It's nice to have mint around for tea or cooking ... or upset tummies. However, I prefer spearmint. My spearmint never "took" though.



46. Good for soothing and calming; we find it in Sleepytime tea. Also good for upset stomachs, as Peter's mother told him after he'd eaten too much and gotten stressed out in Mr McGregor's garden. "She made some CHAMOMILE tea; and she gave a dose of it to Peter! One tablespoonful to be taken at bedtime. But Flopsy, Mospsy, and Cottontail had bread and milk and blackberries for supper."

No comments:

Post a Comment