Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Spinach Feta Bread

10-oz pkg of frozen chopped spinach
6 oz feta cheese (about 1 ¼ or 1 ½ cups crumbled)

1 ¾ cup milk (warmed to about 110°)
1/3 cup olive oil
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp sea salt
½ tsp nutmeg
2 pkg dry yeast (about 1 ½ Tbsp)

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour

5-6 cups white flour


Thaw (but do not squeeze and drain) the spinach.
Stir together milk, oil, egg, sugar, salt, spice, and yeast.
Stir in ww flour and 1 cup of white flour. Beat for 2 minutes.
Stir in spinach and crumbled cheese.
Add the rest of the white flour, stir and knead till dough makes a ball and is not too sticky.
Let rise once or twice. Punch down between risings.
Shape into loaves and bake in greased pans.
Two 9x5" loaves would bake about 55 minutes at about 350-375°.
Six small loaves (about 2 ½ x 5 ½") would be about 35 minutes.
Muffin-sized rolls or breadsticks are about 20-25 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. Use this dough to make pocket sandwiches with cooked seasoned ground lamb or beef. The Lebanese sell these meat pies at the MidEast Bakery in Cleveland. It is a favorite spur-of-the-moment picnic lunch for my dh and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan this looks so good-- I happen to have the ingredients on hand -- maybe today I can make some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, I made it last night and it was really good, although not as spinachy and feta-y as I would've wished. I think next time I'll go about 3/4 or 2/3 on the bread ingredients, but use the same amount of spinach and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mm, that does sound delicious. I may have to coax some feta into coming here, so I can make a couple loaves. :D

    Do you think that would fare alright in a bread machine? I could always find our bread pans and do it in the oven, but the bread machine is what I've been more used to doing baking in recently.
    --Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what adjustments might be needed [pun, HA!!] for a bread machine. But I know you can do it because I saw lots of online recipes that used a bread machine for similar recipes.

    ReplyDelete