Thursday, December 13, 2007

Shuffling

Once upon a time, in a fit of Thinking Outside The Box, pondering how we could rearrange the living area, we wondered what would happen if we put the living room furniture in the dining room, and put the dinner table in the living room.





Last week, Andrew was all hyped to try this. So the two of us made up a map of the room, with little furniture cut-outs the right size. I let him shuffle those pieces around until he found something that would work. Then I would shoot a hole in his theory: "nope, that blocks heating vents" or "can't get to the light switch there" or "no seats where the tv is visible" (the last of which really wouldn't be toooo bad because it would be incentive to move the screen to the chilly and uncomfortable basement; but that's another topic).

Andrew finally came up with three plans that were feasible. Tuesday he picked one, and we started moving. Hey, it's a great way to get around to dusting the backs and underneaths of furniture, and vacuuming those never-to-be-reached places! It's further from the kitchen cupboards to the dinner table, but it hasn't gotten intolerable yet. The living room is nicely cozier.

I was reminded, partially by the kids, but mostly by the cats, how much I loved it when I was little and Mom switched around the furniture. It's like it's intellectually stimulating. New ways to do things. New things to explore. I remember wanting to just TRY sitting on the couch in its new place. I'm not sure I want to be kept on my toes right now, with regard to where the pens are sitting or where the boombox is. But so far, I'm still functioning in spite of the changes, and there are a lot of good aspects of this.

Most people don't take on wacky projects like this during December. No cards are sent. No tree is up. No decorations are out. But we think the furniture placement is pretty nifty nonetheless!

6 comments:

  1. I love the new arrangement! Cozy is such a nice word! You even put some pretty things in place...what is happening to you? First you start a new trend in dressing "dork" and now you are decorating! It must feel good to get some cleaning and organizing done too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>even put some pretty things in place

    Okay, the kids and I are looking around this room, wondering what pretty things we put out. The only change was that the rectangular coffee table (from the doctor's office) was replaced by the round coffee table (from my grandpa & grandma's). And to hide the ugly blue plastic legs holding up the tabletop, we put on the beautiful hand-made tablecloth from my Aunt Mary. But other than that, everything on the walls and sitting out is still where it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom loved to change the furniture around - always - still does. Part because she liked the change and part because she liked to clean. My dad tolerated it but always gave her a hard time about it. I would change things too, but I lean a little more towards my dad's thinking of being constant. Plus this house is big, but with lots of little rooms which aren't conducive to rearranging the furniture.

    I think yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom rearranged a lot too, for the same reasons Glenda mentioned about her mom. My dad really didn't care.

    I tend to be more like my mother. I like the change and I like to know it's cleaned under the furniture once in a while. Plus, with a daughter who likes tiny toys, it's fun to discover what's been lost. :-)

    We just rearranged our living room so we could accomodate the Christmas tree (just put up last Sunday). But we're all liking the new arrangement so much we'll keep it for a few months.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always loved to re-arrange. Gives one a "fresh perspective."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to like rearranging. But I haven't in this house too much. The shape of the rooms and the tightness of space always made it difficult. If we found a workable arrangement, it seemed futile to mess with it. But it does seem to me like something that stretches kids' minds and helps them adjust to change and encourages them to think of creative ways to solve problems. (All that from simple furniture rearranging!)

    ReplyDelete