Sunday, December 09, 2007

Mom's Best Apple Pie

My mom makes mighty good apple pies, but this is her bestest one. You start with your standard pie crust, your standard apples, and your standard flour & sugar & cinnamon & salt. (By the way, if you use more than one kind of apple, it really boosts the flavor!)

It's the top "crust" that makes this pie great in all its caramel deliciousness.

Combine
2/3 cup white flour with
1/2 cup brown sugar (preferably dark brown)

Mix in 1 stick (aka 1/2 cup) softened butter

My recipe card says "crumble over pie." According to my understanding of the word crumble, there ain't no way you're gonna crumble this pasty goo. I just pick up little bits of the goo, squeeze it kinda sorta flat between my fingers, and keep plopping these little "crumbs" onto the top of the pie until it's pretty much covered. Bake at 350 for an hour.

If you want low-fat and low-sugar, this cover for an apple pie is not the way to go. But if you want ultra yumminess, then it's definitely worth a try.

2 comments:

  1. This "Crumb topping" is really close to what I use on my apple pies, but I add an extra couple shakes of cinnamon in the topping. Another yummy option is to use this topping on peach pie, with a sprinkle of nutmeg.
    Karen in west Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it on pumpkin once. That was good too!

    ReplyDelete