Thursday, October 04, 2007

Sad Kitty

When women are depressed, they eat chocolate (until they get so depressed that they can't even stomach that). When a cat is depressed, she eats gophers. And mice. And chipmunks. And gophers. Wrong time of year -- there aren't copious amounts of baby birds attempting to learn to fly, so I think I'll go grab me another gopher.

You would not believe my humans (says Athena). They brought a kitten into my house. She has disgusting amounts of energy. She bounces around this place. The people coo and ahhh over her. She drinks out of my water dish and eats out of my bowl. She wants to play with my tail! The indignity of it all! And now that she's growing, she's invading MY outdoor hunting grounds too. Better find another gopher to chow down.

I'll show them! I won't let them love me. I won't cuddle with them on the couch. I won't stay indoors at night. I am just going to stay outside and hunt gophers and assuage my sorry pitiful soul.

And now! Can you believe what they've done now? They keep talking about a skunk. They put tuna [oh, how I luv tuna!] outdoors in a wire box. But I can't get to it. It's locked. But I can smell its delicious tuna-y smell. The last three evenings when I've come in for a quick "toothbrushing" of kibble and a drink of water to carry me through my gopher-hunting night, they won't let me back out again. Something about whether "the trap has been set yet."

I sit at the door and meow. I go up to those slaves and try to show them the way to the door. And they keep saying, "Sorry, you can't go out. We don't want to catch YOU in the trap. The trap is for the skunk. We love you and want you to be safe." What is the meaning of this outrage? Not only did they bring a kitten into my territory, but now they've cut off my means of escape and make me stay indoors all night with the wretched little creature, AND they've taken away my chocolate gophers.



Slave's rebuttal: Maybe we're going to have to take a night off of attempting to catch the skunk. Otherwise the cat may never come indoors again.

1 comment:

  1. Susan,
    There were reports of a cougar in a town near us (up near the Adirondacks). About 3 people said they saw it, but the DEC is cautious in saying it's true. About 20 cats have disappeared this summer as well. So people blame the "cougar". BUT the DEC says Skunks kill cats too and so cats being missing aren't necessarily a reason to think it's a big cat.

    You may want to keep your cat indoors at night until you catch the skunk.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete