Monday, October 01, 2007

Clothesline

Our clotheslines was two years old, and the cotton was getting worn. On top of that, it needed to come down to make room for the backhoe last week.

Andrew (that's-MY-son Andrew) has been waiting for a good day to have the sheets and pajamas washed AND HUNG ON THE LINE. There's something glorious about the perfume of line-dried clothing and sheets. It's so great to crawl into a freshly made bed, in jammies that have that wondrous smell!

Hanging the new clothesline today reminded me of the value of my Klutz Book of Knots. You'd think after learning this knot dozens of times, I could remember it. But no. I always have to take the book outdoors with me to hang new clotheslines. I don't know how I ever managed a clotheslines before I discovered that one-way tightens-only knot.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! This is very helpful information! We put up a long clothesline on vacation and I am always tying knots that slip. Now, if I can just remember it!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! In case you don't look at my blog again for a while, we'll be at Zion - Garrett.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we moved here, Brad made me a wonderful clothesline consisting of t-posts, coated wire, and adjustable hook and eye/type bolts. Last week a friend gave me 4 of those clothesline propping poles - what a gift!

    Around here we see a lot of those Amish clotheslines, which are on a pulley out the back of the house. Often they are attached to the peak of a barn and so go way up in the air. Imagine having a little door in your house so that in winter, you could hang up clothes in doors, and then pulley them outside.

    ReplyDelete